Q-codes

First Twelve Q Codes Listed in the 1912 International Radiotelegraph Convention Regulations
Abbreviation    Question.    Answer or Notice.
QRA    What ship or coast station is that?    This is ____.
QRB    What is your distance?    My distance is ____.
QRC    What is your true bearing?    My true bearing is ____ degrees.
QRD    Where are you bound for?    I am bound for ____.
QRF    Where are you bound from?    I am bound from ____.
QRG    What line do you belong to?    I belong to the ____ Line.
QRH    What is your wave length in meters?    My wave length is ____ meters.
QRJ    How many words have you to send?    I have ____ words to send.
QRK    How do you receive me?    I am receiving well.
QRL    Are you receiving badly? Shall I send 20 ...-. for adjustment?    I am receiving badly. Send 20 ...-. for adjustment.
QRM    Are you being interfered with?    I am being interfered with.
QRN    Are the atmospherics strong?    Atmospherics are very strong.






Q Codes Commonly Used by Radio Amateurs
Code    Question.    Answer or Notice.
QRG    Will you tell me my exact frequency (or that of ...)?    Your exact frequency (or that of ... ) is ... kHz (or MHz).
QRI    How is the tone of my transmission?    The tone of your transmission is (1. Good; 2. Variable; 3. Bad)
QRK    What is the readability of my signals (or those of ...)?    The readability of your signals (or those of ...) is ... (1 to 5).
QRL    Are you busy?    I am busy. (or I am busy with ... ) Please do not interfere.
QRM    Are you being interfered with?    I am being interfered with.
QRN    Are you troubled by static?    I am troubled by static.
QRO    Shall I increase power?    Increase power
QRP
Shall I decrease power?    Decrease power
QRQ    Shall I send faster?    Send faster (... wpm)
QRS    Shall I send slower?    Send slower (... wpm)
QRT    Shall I stop sending?    Stop sending.
QRU    Have you anything for me?    I have nothing for you.
QRV    Are you ready?    I am ready.
QRX    Will you call me again?    I will call you again at ... (hours) on ... kHz (or MHz)
QRZ    Who is calling me?    You are being called by ... on ... kHz (or MHz)
QSA    What is the strength of my signals (or those of ... )?    The strength of your signals (or those of ...) is ... (1 to 5).
QSB    Are my signals fading?    Your signals are fading.
QSD    Is my keying defective?    Your keying is defective.
QSK    Can you hear me between your signals?    I can hear you between my signals.
QSL
Can you acknowledge receipt?    I am acknowledging receipt.
QSM    Shall I repeat the last telegram (message) which I sent you, or some previous telegram (message)?    Repeat the last telegram (message) which you sent me (or telegram(s) (message(s)) numbers(s) ...).
QSN    Did you hear me (or ... (call sign)) on .. kHz (or MHz)?    I did hear you (or ... (call sign)) on ... kHz (or MHz).
QSO    Can you communicate with ... direct or by relay?    I can communicate with ... direct (or by relay through ...).
QSX    Will you listen to ... (call sign(s) on ... kHz (or MHz))?    I am listening to ... (call sign(s) on ... kHz (or MHz))
QSY    Shall I change to transmission on another frequency?    Change to transmission on another frequency (or on ... kHz (or MHz)).
QTA    Shall I cancel telegram (message) No. ... as if it had not been sent?    Cancel telegram (message) No. ... as if it had not been sent.
QTC    How many telegrams (messages) have you to send?    I have ... telegrams (messages) for you (or for ...).
QTH    What is your position in latitude and longitude (or according to any other indication)?    My position is ... latitude...longitude
QTR    What is the correct time?    The correct time is ... hours

Altimeter Settings
Code    Meaning    Sample use
QFE    Atmospheric pressure at airfield elevation    Runway in use 22 Left, QFE 990
QNE    Atmospheric pressure at sea level in the International Standard Atmosphere (1013.25 mbar)   
QNH    Atmospheric pressure at mean sea level    Request QNH

Radio Procedures
Code    Meaning    Sample use
QSY    Free-call another frequency (no longer an official part of the standard phraseology, but still heard regularly)    Golf Alpha Bravo QSY Doncaster 126.225
Radio Navigation
Code    Meaning    Sample use
QDM    Magnetic bearing to a station    QDM QDM QDM (callsign) request QDM
QDR    Magnetic bearing from a station   
QFU    Runway in use    Runway 22 in use, QFU 22
QTE    True bearing from a station   
QUJ    True bearing to a station   

Reference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_code
0 Responses